Install SSL Root Certificate for Safari Browsers
Enabling SSL intercept on the Symantec Web Security Service requires you to also install an SSL root certificate, downloadable from the service portal, on each employee client browser. If you do not perform this procedure, employees receive certificate error pop-up dialogs for each SSL connection attempt.
Perform the following steps for Apple Safari browsers. The procedures assume that you have downloaded the root certificate from your WSS portal account to a network location.
Tip: Download a text file, which you can edit and post or distribute to employees with existing systems (with possible modifications, such as the network location of the root cert file). Note: To install the certificate, users must have admin privileges on their client systems.
- From the browser, open the directory in which you downloaded the root cert file.
- Double-click the certificate.
- You are prompted to store the certificate in the login keychain or the system keychain. To make the certificate available to all users of this system, select system keychain.
- In Keychain Access, select the System keychain; then select Cloud Services Root CA certificate.
- Select File > Get Info and expand the Trust section.
- Change Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) value to Always Trust.
- Close the dialogs and enter your password.
Tip: Download a text file, which you can edit and post or distribute to employees with existing systems (with possible modifications, such as the network location of the root cert file). Note: They must have admin privileges to install the certificate.
In the browser:
- Navigate to where you downloaded the file.
- Right-click the file and select Install Certificate.
- You might be prompted for admin credentials and/or a confirmation prompt.
- On the first wizard screen, click Next.
On the Certificate Store screen:
- Select the Place all certificates in the following store option.
- Click Browse.
- Select the Trusted Root Certification Authorities option.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- If another security warning dialog displays, click Yes.
- Return to Create SSL Policy.