Install SSL Root Certificate for Microsoft Internet Explorer Browsers
Enabling SSL intercept on the Symantec Web Security Service requires you to also install an SSL root certificate, downloadable from the service portal, on each employee client browser. If you do not perform this procedure, employees receive certificate error pop-up dialogs for each SSL connection attempt.
Perform the following steps for Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers. The procedures assume that you have downloaded the root certificate from your Web Security Service portal account to a network location.
Tip: Download a text file, which you can edit and post or distribute to employees with existing systems (with possible modifications, such as the network location of the root cert file). Note: To install the certificate, users must have admin privileges on their client systems.
In the browser:
- Navigate to where you downloaded the file.
- Right-click the file, and select Install Certificate.
- You might be prompted for admin credentials and/or a confirmation prompt.
- On the first wizard screen, click Next.
On the Certificate Store screen:
- Select the Place all certificates in the following store option.
- Click Browse.
- Select the Trusted Root Certification Authorities option.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- If another security warning dialog displays, click Yes.
- Return to Create SSL Policy.